Thursday, December 15, 2011

You need to get out more...

With a baby that sleeps all morning, and a toddler that sleeps all afternoon, school pick up is the extent of my social life these days. Parent-Teacher Conferences? A night out on the town for me! The other social experience is Target. I don’t know how it is I only run into people I haven’t seen in ten years if I’m wearing sweats with no make-up and have something embarrassing in my cart like Tucks or Hemorrhoid cream. One time I ran into a guy from my past in Target when I was buying lingerie. I didn’t even have a cart; I just tried to discreetly hide it behind my back. I guess that’s why there are special stores for that.

Anyway, for being a stay-at-home-mom, I don’t actually like to stay home all the time. I am an extravert (although I might have denied that for a few years while doing ministry). I need conversation… adult conversation. Once during the longest winter of history when I hadn’t left my house in months, I was so hungry for adult conversation that I let the Kirby vacuum salesman into our 740 square foot house to try and sell me a vacuum that cost more than my car. I just needed to talk to an adult… even if it was about dirt.

With naps and nursing and a baby at the height of separation anxiety, even getting a sitter just isn’t worth it. And so the computer… blogs, facebook, and emails, has become my link to the outside world. But tonight I made an exception to policy and attended not only one Christmas party, but two. It was great to know that I still can shake hands and make small talk while balancing a glass of wine and a plate of hors d’oeurves. And it is so nice to have that much craved adult interaction. And I did come home feeling energized... which is why I'm working on my blog past 10:00 at night.

But as I was driving home, I realized that the people I most enjoy spending time with are right under my own roof. Which is a good thing since my two year old was still awake (3 hours after his bedtime) reminding me why I don’t do this very often.

1 comment:

  1. I could put a check mark next to every point you just said!
    Although...I'm much more introverted...so I prefer to stay closed up...until I realized it's been far too long and people probably wonder if I'm alive and well.

    We need adult interaction. Friendships, conversations, belly laughs, etc. I've found that the blogworld has been a convenient "watering hole" if you will...but I still crave the kind of interactions from years ago. One step at a time!

    Enjoy those Christmas parties!

    ReplyDelete