Monday, March 26, 2012

And So Shines A Ray Of Hope...

It was one of those days where I woke up with an unexplained heaviness.  Even the simplest task felt like climbing a mountain. Dishes. Laundry. Meals. I had to keep reminding myself that I am blessed, which is absurd, because I truly am remarkably blessed. Then I felt guilty that I had to tell myself to be happy when objectively I should be happy anyway.  

My “to-do” list, which has had some of the items on it for literally months, all of a sudden seemed urgent and was written proof of my inadequacy.  Why was the fact that I couldn’t get around to changing the batteries in my smoke detectors suddenly throwing me into despair?  I was struggling with the sickness of perfectionism.  When I realized that this dread I was carrying around may just be hormonal, it still didn’t seem to help…

As I was throwing in yet another load of laundry, I realized that the voice inside my head was being particularly harsh.  I would never talk to anyone else the way I was talking to myself. What would I tell one of my friends if she called up saying she wasn’t hacking it as a mom because her kid didn’t have clean uniform pants this morning? And she skipped flossing their teeth last night!  Hardly abuse… even if it was the same day she’d gotten a lecture from the dentist about how important it is to floss.  I would probably laugh and remind her how hard it is sometimes and to think of all the things she did do for her family. 

The day trudged on and I along with it, trying to talk to myself as gently and kindly as I would to a friend. Trying to take life less seriously. Trying.   

As I was burping the baby, he looked at me and for the first time, clear as day, said, “Mama” and leaned in and gave me a big slobbery baby kiss. My heart stopped and the moment was suspended in time. Joy. 




And suddenly the critical self-talk and heaviness was gone. HE SAID “MAMA” J

1 comment:

  1. Oh Kate, this is beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes, really...
    I've felt like this before, so many times, in fact. Truly, there is an army in Heaven fighting for you to keep going in this journey we call motherhood. What a special and joyful gift God gave you that day ;)

    ReplyDelete