Monday, November 14, 2011

Gratitude

I just finished reading “Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To”. Anthony DeStefano mentions things like, “God, show me that you exist”. “God, make me an instrument”. And “God, get me through this suffering.” He asserts that there are certain prayers that God always answers. I have one I think he should have added: “Lord, make me grateful."

When we seek gratitude, we will find it. We have so much for which to be thankful. What are some things that make you grateful? On the top of my list are my faith and the countless ways God shows me that He is with me and in charge, my four boys who bring so much joy to my life, and my husband who really is my best friend. I’m also grateful to be near family and friends, to have an amazing school for my older boys, and for so many other things I couldn't possibly name them all.

A few less significant things that illicit gratitude:

· Finding new music that I love… the latest is Ray LaMontagne thanks to my friend Cynthia

· Chinese take-out from our favorite place

· Watching my kindergartner learn to read

· A hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning

· Watching “Little House on The Prairie” (you know, the old 70s one with Michael Landon) with my husband while drinking a glass of wine

· Cheeks so chubby that they jiggle when my toddler runs

· My sons’ proud look

· A million other little surprises that grab my heart and make it grow in love and thanks

I must admit though, while I am abundantly blessed, I often don’t feel grateful. I take 99% of my blessings for granted.


As we approach Thanksgiving let us pray,

“Lord make us grateful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment