Sunday, November 6, 2011

It's The Little Things...

I’m doing a little experiment on the power of positive thinking. The past few weeks at least two of my children have been up every night. I’m tired. I’m worn out. I need a break. The problem is I keep telling myself this and I feel like I’m carrying around a fifty-pound weight of dread, resentment, and negativity. So, as I was nursing the baby in the middle of the night, I resolved to remind myself how lucky and blessed I am. (Nevermind that I promised never to make public resolutions again in my very last post!)

As I lied in bed the next morning, I tried to think positively. I am blessed. Listen to those four beautiful boys.

“I have to go potty”

“Can someone get me some cereal please?”

“Mom, what did you do with my uniform shorts?”

As I’m listening to the awaiting demands in my state of exhaustion, my “positive” voice sounded superficial and fake. Like the advertisers had gotten into my head. What were they trying to sell me? Oh yeah, my life. Why should I get out of bed when I really want to stay buried under the covers? It was the baby’s coo that got me up.

Just as my toast popped, my toddler said, “I have to go potty”. I started trying to think positively … look how he’s learning… think how much we’re saving on diapers. As I brought him some clean underwear and pants he squealed with delight, “Mater!” (a character from the movie Cars for my non-parenting friends). He was so happy to get his Mater underwear that his joy was contagious and I actually felt it too. How blessed I am to be able to give my son Mater underwear! J

Apparently it just takes a little while for gratitude to wake up too! Suddenly the positive voice in my head didn't feel so fake anymore.


1 comment:

  1. Kate, I just read your blog for the first time and you are a breath of fresh air in this materialistic world, where it's so hard to be traditional Catholic at times. Thanks for the encouraging words!
    Jen Leeper

    ReplyDelete