Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Child At Heart...

Being one of three girls growing up, my knowledge of the male psyche was limited to my father, who usually pretended to be pretty refined, although his inner "boy-ness" could be spotted from time to time. Fast forward a few years and here I am the mom of four boys and I am getting quite the education. 

I’ve heard that men are really little boys in grown up bodies. I get to witness this in all kinds of humorous and sometimes eye-rolling ways.  Like how my husband likes to tease the boys… usually playfully, but sometimes he can’t help himself and pushes the wrong button. Or how he gets just as giddy and excited about showing the boys his favorite scene in Star Wars as a little kid.  Whether it is watching the Bronco game together or telling them a bed time story about a little bunny whose gas is so smelly it can wipe out the enemy in seconds, I have plenty of evidence that indeed, my husband is just an overgrown boy. 


The most recent way my husband has been nurturing his inner child was by buying a bb gun for the two oldest boys for Christmas.  As a mother, I was less than enthusiastic about this idea.  I could give the boys a wet noodle and they could find a way to hurt themselves….  So the idea of a weapon seemed a little..... mmm....  risky to me.  But you should have seen my husband.  He had the excitement of a little boy on Christmas morning combined with Fourth of July fireworks.   Just the thought of giving the boys this gift put a smile on his face so big that I would have to be the Grinch himself to stop it. 

And so, while I do not trust my boys for one second with our Daisy Red Ryder 650 shot bb gun, I told my husband that I do trust him.  (Hear that honey?  I TRUST YOU!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment